– [Dr. Ryan Osborne] I always
come to the sites where we’re gonna do a mission before
the rest of the team just to check out the local area and see what equipment
we’re gonna need to bring. When I came the first time to Cajamarca I met with the hospital officials, and they all assured
me that the facilities were able to accommodate
the types of surgeries that we typically perform. Well fortunately, in the
interim the country had political elections. There was a change of guard, and all of the appointed
hospital officials I initially met with were replaced. That means all the people
who made promises to me were gone, and the new
leadership couldn’t be held responsible for what
they did not agree to. Despite this, the new
leadership agreed to honor the previously made arrangements
to host our mission. However, they also informed
us that we were mislead regarding the facilities. – We have run into a few challenges, some we haven’t experienced in the past. – So, we learned that
they have two O R’s here, but they’ve actually never done any general anesthesia cases here. – As we are unaware if
the anesthesia monitors work properly. – [Ryan] That means we were limited to local anesthesia and sedation cases only. – So, if we can get
these anesthesia machines up and running, we
wouldn’t be able to do any general anesthesia cases, at all. So, that would definitely
change our mission. – (Ryan) My name is Ryan Osborne. I trained as a head and neck surgeon in South Central Los Angeles. Managing the most complex cancer and trauma patients in the country. I’m operated across the globe in first and third world countries. My experiences have taught
me the value of flexible and innovative thinking. But I realized that our health care system doesn’t always allow for that. So, I started Osborne
Head & Neck Institute. I made it my mission to find the best and most creative surgeons around, and I gave them the space to excel. Together we created a
new standard in medicine. These are our stories. – Even though we were
operating all the way till five o’ clock in the morning, and we didn’t leave the
hospital till seven o’clock in the morning, it showed
the dedication of the team, the dedication of the staff,
how they work great in unison. And I was just proud of
being part of that moment. We helped those patients
get the surgery they needed, and the surgery that
they couldn’t really get on their own, here. That’s really what it comes down to. We’re here to give them the
kind of care that’s just not available to them. – When I got here, I
was very excited and now I am now very full of emotions. And thankful to this
beautiful team that you have. In you, I found wonderful human beings that work for the people in need. The kids, for all the
people that need you. Thank you so much. Thank you so much. (somber music) – The next case is a gentleman
who has thyroid cancer, and unfortunately he has a
very advanced thyroid cancer. This tumor is wrapping itself
around the jugular vein, the carotid artery, and
it’s beginning to invade into the muscles that
allow you to swallow. – I was super happy that it took place because the way things have been going, we couldn’t promise surgery to anybody, even when we said, “Oh,
show up at this time and we’ll all hope for the best”. – So, it’s a very difficult case, and I feel like if we don’t
take care of him on this mission time is not on his side. – He definitely is my most memorable guy. I’m always pushing certain cases, and so I go talk to Dr. Osborne like okay, this is the story behind it (mumbles). His wife is a journalist, and so she wrote, there
was this child that had an accident and needed surgery. And he’s at this hospital
and so they have been saving for her husband because he needs surgery. The money they saved for
his surgery, they gave it to that kid because that kid needed surgery, and they said, “you know they’re coming, we’re gonna hope they can help us”. And that’s where they left it. So, I feel like things are so meant to be, they did good and then good came back. It’s a really really good feel. (dramatic music) – Just finished the
case, it was a drencher, when I say drencher,
meaning I was drenched. Difficult case, very
complicated, very involve, but I felt good, we got the tumor out. I’m a little bit concerned
because in recovery he’s having some issues
coughing, a little bit of issues complaining about his
swallowing mechanism. I’m not sure if that’s
something that happened from the surgery or not,
it’s not completely normal to have those kind of
symptoms right after surgery, but in the same sense this
was a very involved case, so I can’t say it’s abnormal either. – These people have come to us with some really serious problems,
and I’ve just awed by how the group comes
together and helps them, and really happy to be a part of it. – [Ryan] In addition to all of this, we were trying to renovate
the recreational room of an orphanage called Las ninos de Belen. This orphanage provides
housing to young girls that were survivors of domestic abuse. We wanted to create a space
that they can call their own. A space that felt warm and safe. A place that felt like home. The question was, when
would we find the time? Fortunately we were a pretty large group. So, we broke into several teams, and we worked simultaneously. We treated patients and
painted walls by day, and at night we operated. – And we’ve been operating nonstop from five in the afternoon
to five in the morning, pretty much every day. And that’s been really taxing, but I was the only way to get it done, and that’s what we’re here to
do is to help the patients. – [Ryan] In case you
couldn’t tell for yourself, nobody was sleeping much. (dramatic music) – So this next case is
pretty cool to me I’m looking at this almost like a makeover. The gentleman came in, he
had a large parotid tumor on one side, and he had a
large growth on his cheek on the other side. Earlier in the mission we actually removed the lesion on the cheek, and right now Dr. Hamilton
is taking the sutures out from that procedure. And we’re getting ready to take him in now and remove the actual parotid tumor. (dramatic music) (intense dramatic music) – One of the exciting cases for us, and I think that really
touched everyone’s hearts was an eight-year-old who
had a really bad dog bite to the lower part of his face and lip. He had a pretty bad
deformity and scarring. And he had some functional
issues with closing his mouth and eating normally. He was so sweet, he reminded me of my son, they’re the same age, and
he had a really dynamic and charming personality. And we really wanted to help him. Several of us were in tears
just every time we saw him. His mom said the day of
his procedure he woke up before everyone else,
and he woke up saying, “I’m excited to have my surgery”. – It wasn’t until three
o’ clock in the morning that we got to do his case, and that little boy waited
with a smile on his face. And he was so brave,
and he was so excited, and you could tell, and then
his mom said that this would change his life. – So, the game plan
for this eight-year-old with a dog bite, is number
one, to remove some scar tissue from inside the
mouth so he can close without biting his lip. Number two, remove scar
tissue under the lip that was pulling it down and tethering it so he couldn’t close his mouth completely. And then close everything
nicely so that he doesn’t have a big scar going forward. (dramatic orchestral music) – And he woke up like a charm
with a smile on his face. And the first thing he said was gracias. And it made being away
from my 10-year-old, as a single mom for 10 days, and missing his first big
boy baseball game ever, all worth it because I
changed that little boys life. (dramatic instrumental music) – Hi Arianna, push the red button okay. – Today is the last day
of our medical mission in Cajamarca, Peru. We have almost less then
24 hours before we leave. And we’re excited that we
were able to squeeze in two more surgical cases this morning. – [Man] We just finished
the submandibular gland, all went well there. – I’m exhausted, I’ve
probably slept 16 hours in the last six days. We’ve changed many peoples lives. And I’m blessed to be able
to do something like this with such a great group of people. – Last case of the day,
very interesting case. It’s a tumor involving
the spinal accessory nerve which is the nerve that
allows you to actually raise your shoulder. It’s a schwannoma in general
which is a benign tumor but none the less gonna have
very destructive features. As always despite ever changing variables and challenges, we have navigated them. We made the best of the
situation all in effort to help people who, otherwise,
weren’t getting that help. So, I feel great, I feel awesome. We’re wrapping up strong,
and we’re gonna take care of this gentleman. So, we’re gonna go in and
try to remove this tumor. He has had consultations
with other surgeons, but all of them felt like this
case would be to complicated to remove without paralyzing his shoulder. So, hopefully we’re able to do this. (dramatic orchestral music) (lighthearted orchestral music) – Doing great. I can tell you right now,
we’re never gonna forget Peru, that tumor make sure of that, but Peru’s never gonna
forget us either (laughs). – Being a part of the foundation, and being able to come here
and take care of the people of Peru is really heartwarming
to me to not only be able to help people, but help people
that are from my ancestry, it’s just a really special
experience to be here. (peaceful instrumental music) – My name is Dr. Osborne. I am a surgeon. We are here as a team of doctors. We are here trying to do
something special for you. And we have a surprise. I would like to introduce a
member of my team, Kim Gales to explain. Is that okay? Perfecto. Kim. – On behalf of the Osborne
Head and Neck Foundation it is all of ours
pleasure that we’re here, and when we leave, we’re
gonna take a piece of you with us in our hearts. And we’ll never forget each
and every one of the faces that we’ve seen here all week. And we love you. And wanna see your room? – [Ryan] In addition to all of this, we we’re trying to renovate
the recreational room of an orphange called Las ninas de Belen. This orphanage provides
housing to young girls that were survivors of domestic abuse. We wanted to create a space
that they could call their own. A space that felt warm and safe. A place that felt like home. (uplifting music) – And wanna see your room? – SI – All right. (lighthearted instrumental music) – [Ryan] I guess this is
the part of the medical missions that we really
don’t talk much about. We only really think
about all the good things that we can do. We rarely think about the
bad things that could occur. It’s a lot of fun helping
people, and it’s great. But the reality is we’re
accountable for everything we do. And although I’d say almost all the time we get a great result, there are times when things
don’t go the way we planned. If you recall we operated
on a patient that had advanced thyroid cancer,
instead of paying for his own needed surgery, he paid for
the surgery of a little boy. That patient required
readmission to the hospital, for difficulty swallowing and breathing. A local medical team contacted us because they had some
concerns that potentially a gauze had been left in his neck during his first operation. I asked them to order a simple X-ray which quickly proved that wasn’t the case. However, I had concerns
that he may have something much more serious going on. Peru has a very long
history of having foreign medical teams come into the
country, perform surgeries, and then leave the burden
of any complications on the local docs. I told them, we operated
on him, he’s our patient, we are coming back. This time instead of 31 people, there were just three of us. Three of us with three bags of supplies. Dr. Zandifar, Michael, and myself. We flew back, joined
forces with the local docs, and took that patient back to surgery. He had suffered a delayed
ischemic necrosis of his pharynx. A very rare and very
difficult situation to manage. I’ve only seen this twice before. Essentially he had a heart
attack but in his neck. We reconstructed the area of his pharynx, and stayed in Peru until we were certain that he was on the road to recovery. And from our communication
with the local docs, he should make a full recovery in no time. (calm instrumental music)